Understanding the Rights of Victims After a Car Accident
Victims of car accidents are often left facing some of the most daunting decisions in their life, as well as a number of potential questions regarding what to do next. These matters are made even worse when victims are not fully aware of what rights they have.
It is important to recognize what options are available to someone after they have sustained an injury as a result of an accident caused by negligence. You should get answers from a skilled legal professional who can give you the answers you need and explain your rights moving forward.
The Right to Legal Action
For injury victims, the right to pursue legal action is available in a number of scenarios, but it mainly falls on negligence. Proving that someone negligent can be difficult if trying to navigate these matters on your own. However, having a lawyer on your side can help prove the following:
- That the responsible party had a duty of care for the injured individual
- That this duty of care was breached by a negligent or reckless action
- That this breach was the direct cause of a serious accident
- That this accident was the cause of the victim’s injuries
These are the four factors necessary to prove that someone should be held legally and financially at fault for the damages sustained.
Knowing What Damages May Be Available
When someone sustains an injury, the first thought they have is on their own well-being. However, focuses can quickly shift when medical bills come into play and the injured party is unable to work due to the injuries sustained. This makes it possible to seek the following damages:
- Economic damages: These economic damages are those that can be connected with a direct monetary value and typically includes those such as medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and more.
- Non-economic damages: When it comes to non-economic damages, there are no direct monetary values attached. They cover items such as pain and suffering and emotional trauma.
At Hardee & Hardee, our Greenville car accident attorneys are here for you. We can help you understand your rights and protect them as we move through the complex process that lies ahead.
Call us today at (252) 787-4651 to discuss your potential case.